SUMMERTIME

To us geeks, dorks and nerds, summer signifies several things of varying importance, but all of them nonetheless vital to our survival:

1. TV series/season finales

2. Summer TV Hiatus

3. Summer Blockbusters

4. The San Diego Comic Con

For #1, I'll be ranting and raving about the finale episodes in real-time on Twitter.  Feel free to join me or avoid me as you please.  

I want to babble about #2 here instead.

For me, the Summer Hiatus provides the perfect vacuum for which to catch up with, or try out, new shows.  Often, these are shows that have forever been piling up in my external hard drive.

Last year, it was Battlestar Galactica and Torchwood.  Also last year, I quit my day job, and thus was able to start on a whole slew of new shows.  During what was a self-imposed isolation in December and January, as I worked on my applications, I plowed through the entire ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 and its two movies (along with a season of Stargate Atlantis).  Finally watched Firefly.  Loved BBC's Being Human.  Decided I wanted to write a spec for Syfy's Sanctuary.  Seriously considered moving to Vancouver to find a PA or a writer's assistant job.

But I digress.

So what will I be watching this summer?  There sure are a lot of shows I've been dying to try out.  First, here are the shows that I've already begun to watch quite some time ago and need to catch up with:


"House MD"
Why: Because sources say this season (6) was its best yet.


"Dexter"
Why: Also because season 4 was purportedly the best.


"NCIS"
Why: My friend @gryphonmetal keeps on telling me how good the later seasons are (I'm still on mid-season 5).  Also, I'm curious to find out for myself why this particular procedural show gets some of the highest ratings week to week with an incredibly large fanbase.


"TSCC"
Why: Because so many loved the show and was shocked to see it go.  I watched the pilot episode and a couple after that and really enjoyed myself.  Was pleasantly surprised at how well written the show is.

And the shows I want to start/try out:


"Dollhouse"
Why: Because people were crying and throwing things at the Internet when it got cancelled.  In my opinion, cancelled shows are always worth checking out. It will either suck, or blow your mind away and you'll find yourself throwing things with the rest of the world. Also, it's a Joss Whedon show. 'nuff said.

"Community"
Why: Because so many TV critics and writers on Twitter praise and love the show.  A lot.  Almost every single week.  Thus caught my attention.

"Fringe"
Why: One of those shows that everyone talks about, like Chuck, or Legend of the Seeker.  I know of some people who prefer this show over LOST.

"Spartacus: Blood & Sand"
Why: Because everyone started out dismissing and making fun of the show in the beginning, but by the end of its first season, were all won over.  I loved GLADIATOR and enjoyed 300, so chances are I'll like the show.


"The Pacific"
"Treme"
Why: Another two shows that people went bananas over how good they were when it aired.  Not sure if people still like The Pacific as much, but everyone definitely continues to rave about Treme.  (Some say I should ignore the two and watch The Wire instead.)

Yup, that sure is a lot of TV I'll be watching.  I'm excited.  Now if only the sun would come out, so that I can kick back, barefeet, with cold beer in hand, and enjoy my summer as I should.

+ Other shows on my radar: Breaking Bad, Justified, Chuck, Entourage, Leverage, Eureka.

No comments:

Post a Comment