NEW THINGS THAT BE EXCITING

1. New TV Shows:
(Go HERE to watch the promos/previews)
V
Remake of a 1984 science fiction TV series, "about an alien invasion of Earth by a carnivorous race of reptilians known as 'The Visitors'" (Wikipedia). I didn't see any reptilian invaders in the previews, so I'm assuming the aliens look like humans now... (sound familiar?)
THE DEEP END
Seems like an ALLY McBEAL (lawyers, comedy) in the shape of GREY'S ANATOMY (drama, sex, character-focused). I don't know about everyone else, but I'm certainly ready for a show that's not procedural, medical, or a reality.
HAPPY TOWN
The preview began in a way that was frighteningly similar to the movie TWILIGHT, and ended like a trailer of a horror flick. Which are both No-No's in my book, but the fact that they are creating a TV series based on such a plot intrigues me. Here's the synopsis from TVrage.com:
"Seven years ago, an unknown psycho, nick-named 'The Magic Man' kidnapped seven children before Sheriff Griffin Conroy chased him away. But the discovery of a local's gruesome murder and the disappearance of a new child have everyone whispering the Magic Man is back. [...] A mysterious young woman has just arrived in town, and she's quietly searching for answers about her family's history."
GLEE and THE MIDDLE caught my attention as well. GLEE's pilot episode made me smile, the kind of smile I reserve for movies like THE MIGHTY DUCKS. But at the same time, a nagging voice in the back of my head kept whispering to me that this was just another version of the HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (shudder). Just as movie trailers can be highly deceiving, so can TV previews... only time (and Nielsen ratings) will tell. In my highly unqualified opinion, with the amount of coverage GLEE has gotten recently after the pilot, the show will either shoot through the roof with its success, or fail horribly.


2. New Movie Trailers:
"9": I can't help but think what a GREAT video-game "9" would make. As long as it is not created by the likes of EA, who are notorious for their cheap-looking games that shamlessly rip straight off of the movies, hastily slapping on game controls to characters without any notable consideration for ingenuity or complexity. Yes, that's a big generalization on my part, and I'm sure not all EA games suck. But the most that I've seen, the truly commercial movie-based ones that hit the stores suspiciously too soon after the movies open, have proven themselves highly disappointing.

3. New Soundtracks (on my iPod)
Angels & Demons (Hans Zimmer), Iron Man (Ramin Djawadi), Mother 2 (Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka), Pride & Prejudice (Dario Marianelli)

2 comments:

  1. The reptilian invaders of the original "V" looked human as well, but a few episodes in, were revealed as hamster-eating lizards from space that had come to steal our water. The reveal came in memorable scene where one of the alien "women" on her ship selected a nice fat hamster from what looked like a vending machine, then peeled back her "human" mask and unhinged her reptilian jaw to swallow the warm and fuzzy hamster whole.

    The original "V" would look pretty silly today, but it wasn't a bad show for its time. I'll be interested to see the modern incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Michael Taylor/
    Thanks for visiting and commenting-- a true honor, for I am a big fan of your blog. Insert girly squeal here. Now, did you say hamster-gobbling lizards? Peel-able human masks? I can't wait to see what they do w/ the remake.

    ReplyDelete