THE MAGICAL WHIRLPOOL

Lots of things are happening out there, both in the Real World as well as in the magical whirlpool that is the show biz. It takes me two, three hours to make through all the news and blog rounds, and most of the time I'm not even reading the articles in full length. Despite my efforts to stay on top of things, to urge myself to become more interested in world politics and current events, I'm fighting a losing battle. At the end of the day, I find myself back swirling in my magical whirlpool.
Sadly here in the City of Soul, there exists only the Real Life, with not much magic to speak of. Perhaps this is the reason why Korea is one of the most wired nations in the world, with the highest broadband internet access per capita --- the rare viable magic that exists, can only be found on Teh Internet. Back in the offline Real World, the Koreans go about their lives, the politicians backstabbing each other on a daily basis, and the specter of the late ex-president still lurking around, haunting us. The threat of North Korea and the mysterious successor of Kim Jong-Il seems to be the least of worries for the proud people of South Korea.
If you ask me, I think the whole country is in fucking denial, but it's not the first time that this has happened, and it won't be the last.
Meanwhile, all the good magical stuff seems to be happening in LA. Elaborating on these "good stuff" may reveal just a little too much of my fangirl obsessions, so I won't go into detail. In this month of June, there is not one, but two Bear McCreary concerts, a signing event with notable film composers, a BSG-UN event, the LA Film Festival, the SD Comic-Con, and of course, the E3. All in LA. Lucky bastards.
These days, stuck in my gray office cubicle, I desperately try to remember why it was that I had wanted to come straight back to Korea after graduating from college. Now I want out again. I wish I were in LA. I played around with the idea of actually making a trip to SoCal this summer, but later thought better of it, what with the Oil Crisis, the Economy Crisis, and the recent 15% price increase in airplane tickets. We sure have seen better days.
For now, I'm going nowhere...

Word stuck in my head: "demagogue"
Music stuck in my head: THE PAINTED VEIL soundtrack (Alexandre Desplat)

2 comments:

  1. Oil is creaping up these days [kinda good for me<-] so you should visit SoCal<- I'm planning a trip to LA for a week this summer as well.

    On a sidenote.. oil has been creaping up for QUITE a while right now but noone seems to have noticed yet... The people in the office thinks some sort of conspiracy is going on because there is no way people have not noticed and whined about gas prices going up by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kinda good for you, minnie.....-_-
    anyways, for me, all the good magical stuff seems to be happening in Seoul-_- in Olympic Park duh

    ReplyDelete